Happy December & Happy Holidays

December 04, 2017


I can't believe that it is December already! This year really went by super fast!

I notice that I have a lot of people checking out my posts who have family that has FTD. My blessings and heart go out to all of you. I know our journeys are different, and I also realize that they are similar in a lot of ways, too. My prayers go out to you this holiday season. My prayers go out to those that have lost their loved ones to FTD and any other disease, too.

I'm going to write an update on my mom!

The holidays are a little different with my mom this year. This year she has never known when a holiday is. She didn't know when her birthday was this year, without us telling her, either. She doesn't seem to thrilled about celebrating holidays. I think it's because she doesn't know the meaning of the holidays. It is just another day to her. I'm not sure what we have in store for this Christmas, but whatever we do, we'll be visiting her, and taking her on some car rides. I've noticed that holidays become a thing of the past, at some point, later on with dementia.

My mom has had pain flare ups lately and she has a hard time walking. It's been amazing because she had a ton of pain before she was diagnosed with FTD. She has gone at least 3 years without complaining of pain, and now her pain has come back. 

I have noticed a big change with my mom's short term memory lately. I have been getting shocked when we were just somewhere and my mom does not remember that we were just there within minutes ago. I have never noticed her short term memory this bad. We have noticed her memory slowly fade away year by year, and I'm shocked to see her short term memory slowly fade away, too. It's like we can tell my mom something, and she'll forget it in the same day. Our conversations are changing because of this, and I feel like I'm losing more of my mom each day.

My mom seems to have a harder time recalling people's names quickly. Sometimes it takes her awhile and then she will remember the name. Sometimes she just can't remember names. She forgets who certain people are and how they are connected to the relationship she has with them. This is sad to see.

We decorated my mom's room for the holidays. We took her some of her Christmas stuffed animals, and we decorated her door. The assisted living has a beautiful tree up with some beautiful decorations, also.



May you make many memories, receive many blessings, and have a happy holiday season.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it . . . . . . . 

Thank you for your support!

Families need all the support they can get. I know for a fact that they are so very grateful for any, and all the support they get!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for your comment! :)

Popular Posts