Help Save The Brain - Frontotemporal Dementia - #EndFTD #ThinkFTD

November 20, 2017



We are sporting our new t-shirts to help spread awareness about Frontotemporal Dementia! We are pointing to our shirts with our thumbs.

Have you heard of Frontotemporal Dementia before?

I had never heard of FTD until the day my mom was diagnosed with FTD. I was only aware of Alzheimer's and Dementia before. I had no idea there were different types of Dementia. My purpose and goal here on this blog has been to help spread awareness to Frontotemporal Dementia, so more people are aware that it exists. FTD is a heart-breaking dementia to have, just like all other dementias are.

Frontotemporal Dementia Definition -
(from the Association of Frontotemporal Dementia website)

"Frontotemporal degeneration (FTD) is a disease process that results in progressive damage to the temporal and/or frontal lobes of the brain. It causes a group of brain disorders that share many clinical features. FTD is also commonly referred to as frontotemporal dementia, fronto-temporal lobar degeneration (FTLD), or Picks disease."

FTD Facts - 

FTD usually occurs between the ages of 50 and 60, but this dementia has also occurred in younger ages, as well. The youngest being in the 20's and the oldest as being in the 80's.

There are currently no treatments to slow or stop the progression of this disease.

FTD affects the frontal and temporal parts of the brain.

FTD affects an estimated 50,000-60,000 Americans, which was noted in 2011.

The length of FTD can be anywhere from 2-20 years after onset. The median length is 8 years.

FTD affects decision-making, personality, social behavior, language, memory, and more.

FTD is often misdiagnosed as depression, psychiatric problems, or movement disorders. (They thought my mom's problem was depression and psychiatric problems at first, and it took us a long time, to finally find out the real problem, my mom was dealing with.)

FTD is one of the more common dementias that occurs to the younger aged population.

There are subtypes of Frontotemporal Dementia which include: behavioral variant FTD (bvFTD), primary progressive aphasia (PPA) which affects language, and the movement disorders progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) and corticobasal degeneration (CBD).

For the complete FTD Facts, please visit: 

Thank you for reading and taking the time to learn about Frontotemporal Dementia! You are helping me in this goal, by reading this post!

I appreciate it more than you will ever know! My mom can't help raise awareness with her voice, but I can help her, by using my voice for her! I wish she knew how much of an impact she is making. My mom does not realize she has Frontotemporal Dementia, and I have never been able to speak to her about FTD, with her understanding. 

Help Save The Brain! #EndFTD #ThinkFTD


Please watch the video below to see our fun t-shirt reveal to my mom! I helped her put her new shirt on. She had no idea that I was already wearing the same shirt.


Thank you to @WearingDementia for their fundraising and helping spread the word about Frontotemporal Dementia!

Please help us get the word out about Frontotemporal Dementia! Please share anywhere you can by clicking underneath the Share This Story area, also. Thank you! :)

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I could not imagine being 20 and getting a diagnosis like this. I just tweeted and shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for always commenting, and for tweeting this post! It's so much appreciated!

      -Natalie A.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this <3 I've never heard of FTD before, but love that you are helping to raise awareness by offering personal storytelling and sharing your experiences. Will go ahead and tweet now.

    XOXO and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support and helping me spread awareness for FTD! Your comments and support mean so much to me! Thank you again and I hope you have a great holiday season!

      -Natalie A.

      Delete
  3. You are doing a great job in raising awareness. I will tweet now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your kind words mean so much to me! Thank you for tweeting and helping me raise awareness for FTD!

      -Natalie

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! :)

Popular Posts