I'm No Longer A Daughter In My Mom's Mind

February 13, 2019


My mom was sitting up to a table eating her dinner  last month, one evening. We had just barely dropped her back off at memory care. I chatted a little bit with her friend that sits next to her during meal times.

I decided that I needed to let them eat, instead of talk to them. I started to walk away to my mom's room. As I started walking away, my mom's friend asked my mom "is that your daughter"? He asked her about two times. I was curious on what her answer would be, so I turned my head to see. My mom shook her head as to say "no".  

A caregiver was helping another resident eat at the same table. She knew that I was my mom's daughter. She asked my mom "is that your daughter"? My mom shook her head again and said "no".

This may sound like a sad story, which in reality it is. I have been preparing myself for this recently, so it wasn't a complete shock.

I am just thankful that my mom thinks I'm a cool person to be with and I make her feel good when I'm with her. 

A Daughter. 

Now a Cool Person.

I may not be a daughter in the mind of my mom anymore, but I am someone that makes her feel good. I am thankful for that. My mom greets me with happiness every time that I see her. I am just thankful that she is still happy to see me & knows that I am someone that makes her feel special.



"Why do we close our eyes when we pray,

when we cry, when we kiss, when we dream;

because the most beautiful things in our life

are not seen but felt only by the heart.

- Unknown

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Thank you so much for your comment! :)

Popular Posts