Tips For Someone with Dementia To Enjoy A Family Reunion or Larger Crowds - Our Family Reunion Time with Cindy

July 17, 2018



My mom was able to go to her Family Reunion last month. Her sister, Linda, was so kind & put the family reunion together.

I was a little hesitant to myself, and wondered how my mom would do around a lot of people. I think my mom surprised us all and did so well. She lasted for at least 6 hours in the evening and past her bedtime.

 Cindy was super excited to go see her son & sister, and, of course, to hang out with me (Natalie).

Here are a few tips & tricks for someone with Dementia to enjoy a family reunion and/or larger crowds  . . . . . 

(These ideas worked for us and might not work for everyone)

1. Be careful to not overload your loved one, all at once. We would sit my mom away from the crowd, and people would come talk to her for a minute, and then let her be. This seemed like it worked really well.

2. Play music on a phone with ear phones. I would play music for my mom to entertain her. She loves music so much. My mom would just listen to music on Pandora. She sang and danced a few times, too.

3. Wheelchair ride. My mom couldn't walk to where we were going to, so luckily there was a wheelchair available for her to use. We included her in the activities, and she got to go for a ride out in the nature. She was able to look at the beauty surrounding her.

4. Movie time. We have Vudu on our phones. We put on "The Greatest Showman" for my mom to watch, and so she could be entertained some more. She loved watching the movie and hearing the music.

5. Dinner time. We had my mom sit away from the crowd, so she could eat her dinner. There were 3 of us that ate dinner with her. I believe the less overloaded she gets, the better my mom does.

6. Bathroom Breaks. Staying near a bathroom is always such a good thing for us. It makes it easier to access & is just so much easier in general.

7. Visits. One on one interactions are easier for my mom to follow. She would have one on one visits here, and there with different people. This seems easier for my mom because she has a hard time listening & communicating. She isn't able to conversate much, but she can sure smile.

8. Pack Snacks. My mom becomes quieter when she is hungry. A good idea is to pack some snacks in your purse to give your loved one, in case, it takes a little longer for the main food to be prepared.




────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

ALL in ALL, the FAMILY REUNION, was a hit and went so well for my mom! She had a WONDERFUL TIME! My mom was able to get out, dance, laugh, sing, visit with loved ones, go for a wheelchair ride, and see people she hadn't seen for a long time.


The main goal is to make your loved one feel comfortable, loved, and happy! 


These tips do just that for Cindy!

Cindy couldn't fully enter our family reunion world. We helped her so she could stay in her own Dementia world, which made it easier, and more enjoyable for her.

Thank you, Linda, for the awesome family reunion!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for your comment! :)

Popular Posts